Originally published here by CTV News Windsor.
A clothes dryer caused an early morning fire in Chatham Wednesday.
Crews arrived to a St. Clair Street home to find heavy black smoke and flames coming from the basement window.
The blaze is listed as accidental and damage is pegged at $150,000.
Officials at the Chatham-Kent fire department say they've responded to 10 fires so far this month and remind residents to have fireplaces and wood stove chimneys cleaned and inspected by a professional.
They also warn to not place things that can burn too close to space and portable heaters.